Thursday, July 9, 2009

The Third harp arrives!



Once we had three harps at the music school, the process of teaching became less challenging and more fun. I was able to teach from my harp and the two students learn on the new harps. While this teaching process has been very important and taught me much about the township and music, I sometimes forget that it is not that easy to teach students with no prior knowledge of the harp or any related instrument. One young boy, Sivuyile, is really good at learning the music by ear. At age fourteen his drive to learn is immense. Alternatively, Mazibuko, whom I would guess is about 17 or so, learns at a different pace. It often takes him several tries to get a bass line. Fortunately, he is strong willed and perseveres! What was especially rewarding was when Sivuyile learned all of Ntyilo Ntyilo and I was able to record him. He really makes the necessary connections in his mind. The other kids just watch and listen as I play.

No comments:

Post a Comment