Thursday, July 9, 2009

Last Visit to Ntonga















Ntyilo Ntiylo recorded March 2009












Ntiylo Ntiylo recorded June 2009



My visit to Ntonga today was great. For the first hour I worked on teaching my two students the rest of Ntiylo Ntiylo. We worked on Nyilo Nyilo for awhile then Pokie joined us pushing each student to his limit, and singing, as well as speaking, to express his thoughts. I really enjoy teaching these two students because in the township and with Pokie, the kids are accustomed to being pushed. It was really awesome for me to practice being clear, honest and more forceful. I really enjoyed working with Pokie who encourages his students with “tough love.”

My favorite aspect of the morning was having Siv and his father, Sam, showed up. Their arrival was a delightful surprise. Siv with his trumpet, and his father, with his sax, jammed with us for the last time. Having everyone in the room together was like one big family!

I also got the wonderful opportunity to meet Mohammed who brought the two harps to South Africa and Asta who writes the blogs for Ntonga. The Ntonga Music School was alive and well on this day. Words fail to describe the energy radiating from this room.

No comments:

Post a Comment