Thursday, July 9, 2009

Jamming with Pokie and fellow musicians at Ntonga Music School:


Celtic and Jazz Fusion: "Butterfly"






Celtic and Jazz Fusion: "Star of the County Down"





During my first few months at Ntonga, I spent my weekly visits playing harp, accompanied by Pokie, on his bass, Samuel Pono, on saxophone, and his son, Soyisile Wynton, on trumpet. These jam sessions acquainted me with the people and jazz of the township. Unlike my experience with musicians in America, organized or strict schedules were not constructed for rehearsals at Ntonga. Upon my arrival, the music room was usually filled with instruments, but no people. It took time to organize the musicians. On some occasions, I was left to wait 20-30 minutes for all the musicians to arrive before any notes or exchange of musical ideas took place.
Initially I did not appreciate this musical pace and lifestyle. Fortunately, I quickly found myself blending into the tempo 0f the township and music school using the waiting time to tune my harp, greet fellow community members passing by and warm up my fingers (especially when winter started creeping in).

No comments:

Post a Comment