Thursday, July 9, 2009

Background to working at Ntonga Music School:

Before leaving the U.S., I held a harp recital and received donations for Ntonga Music School. So I brought my harpsicle to Cape Town in hopes of teaching students at this school in the township. Within the first month after finding Ntonga Music School, Pokie Klaas, the head music instructor, asked if I could get more harpsicles to use in teaching kids here. I took the money from my recital and purchased two harps from Rees Harps Inc. in the states. Donations from the Multi-Cultural Music Fellowship, thanks to support from my harp teacher, Diana Stork, paid for two harp cases. The Playing for Change Foundation shipped them to me in Cape Town where I excitedly began teaching basic music and harp skills.

No comments:

Post a Comment