Thursday, July 9, 2009

Reflecting on Ntonga



What I really value is that the school is a space open to the Gugulethu community. It IS a big family. Anyone can enter the school. When someone comes in , everyone just shakes their hand and enjoys their company. It is a community of support and understanding and that is what I love so much. I feel I can just sit in a space, offer the music that I love playing and soon the community gathers and appreciation is felt without words. It was a great atmosphere for experimenting.
I enjoyed bringing my music skills to children who don’t usually have lessons and instruments. Teaching kids in a township and watching them learn was truly a joy. Some learned really fast, others were a little slower. Some children were too small to hold the harp, but once the kids who were actually interested showed up, the experience was fantastic. Playing with each one, teaching them different sections and really supporting them in their process was a highlight of my experience. In teaching students within Gugulethu, I learned much about my own teaching style, adjusting it to respond to the needs and type of environment within the school. I learned to be clear, open, and honest with my students and from this established good relationships with both the students and Pokie.

1 comment:

  1. Great picture beautiful Penguin!!! The album is superb and it is great to know that you are able to chanel your love for music into the hearts of people. I feel inspired by your commited work and I look forward to listeing to your ARTivism.

    1Music2Unify ;-)

    Love you sister!
    Pancho

    PS: I hope to see you tomorrow at the Closing Celebration, perhaps you can share some of your magic with all of us like last year, won't you?

    ReplyDelete