Friday, September 3, 2010

Community Day and More


My journey at Ntonga Music School and in Guguletu has been one of the most challenging and rewarding experiences of my life.

In the past five weeks, I have learned slowly but surely to accept and move with the slow pace of life in Gugs and the environment at the school. During the week, I attend evening art events where I find inspiration in youth performing music and dance. On August 25th Titi, Khosi, and I, attended Artscape in Cape Town. This performance featured youth dance and music ensembles from Cape Town suburbs and townships neighboring Guguletu. This performance inspired me. Seeing talented kids ages 6-18 on stage dancing, singing and playing in ensembles reminded me of the incredible potential and talent that is possible to unleash at Ntonga Music School. While the direction of the school and board members must be shifted to support the progress of students, the excitement found on kids faces who come to learn at Ntonga is a reminder of the power music holds in the lives of youth.

Currently the Ntonga Board and myself, are in the process of assessing CV's with the intention to introduce new teachers and instruments at the school. Getting new teachers involved at Ntonga Music School promises a positive outcome. New teachers will bring fresh energy to the school inspiring and encouraging youth attendance and progress.

On Sunday, August 22nd, the Ntonga Board and myself organized a Community Day. The purpose of the event was to increase student numbers. While the weather was foreboding, several ensembles from Ntonga performed and a dance group from a neighboring township played marimbas, sang and danced.

As an outsider, I have recently faced roadblocks where my goals and Pokie’s goals, the founder and visionary of the school, do not align. This is frustrating. Yet I believe the vision of the Playing for Change Foundation, to connect youth through music, has the love and positive energy to overcome the obstacles at the school. With support from the Playing for Change Foundation, progress and potential is vast.

With the word spreading about the school, and classes I see much potential in student numbers increasing. With school teachers on strike possibly through the month of September this is a perfect time to target youth and increase numbers at the school. Thus, I remain excited and hopeful as I continue connecting with local artists and musicians interested in studying at the school and spreading the word. There is so much love, hope, and opportunity at Ntonga.

Stay tuned. Guguletu, South Africa.

To return to PFCF main page or make a donation, click on the below link:
www.playingforchange.org

1 comment:

  1. "Smooth seas do not make skillful sailors." -African Proverb

    ReplyDelete